One way passwd sync with samba

Tolga Ceylan tolga at lcsl.metu.edu.tr
Tue Jun 1 12:29:21 GMT 1999

I have a complex situation.

1 - I have a NIS+ Solaris server which controls the whole
	department. This server keeps in sync with the whole
	dept. It copies the NIS+ tables to several labs with
	Digital unixes, solaris machines, and a linux box.

2 - I have a linux box which servers to several linux clients
	with NIS. This server gets its NIS tables from the
	solaris NIS+ server in the dept. In this lab no passwd
	change is allowed since the NIS tables are overwritten
	in every 15 min. There is a one way passwd sync. in the
	dept.

3 - I want to make this linux a PDC which will allow several
	NT 4.0 SP 3 to login. I won't allow users to change
	their passwords. So I want a one way passwd sync.
	with the NIS on the PDC. The users should be able to
	login with the same password in the dept.

Is this possible since NIS won't offer samba plain text
passwords. Simply I want to use exactly NIS tables for
samba. Not a smbpasswd file.

Sincerely

Tolga Ceylan