PDC not available

Björn Simon bjoern.simon at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jun 1 00:24:23 GMT 1999

Hello,

I have a RedHat 5.2 (Kernel 2.0.36) server running with Samba 2.0.3.
Every kind of tests as mentioned in Diagnosis.txt are fine, it`s
possible to connect/use the shares from the Samba machine, but I cannot
teach the WinNT machines (NT 4.0 WS with SP4) to accept Samba as the
PDC. The same for a Win 95 OSR2 machine. -> "Domain Controller not
available."

I did the following:
- useradd client1$  (home: /dev/null   shell: /bin/nix) no password, but
not extra specified as a blank
  one
- smbpasswd -a -m client1$
- restart the daemons nmbd and smbd

I also tried useradd CLIENT1$ and smbpasswd -a -m client1 as described
in the archive
-> same result, "Domain Controller not available". Are any of these
names (clients and workgroup) case sensitive?

Furthermore I cannot browse my shares, but I can see them with net view
\\SERVER at the DOS-Prompt.

The last strange effect is the generation of the file MACHINE.SID and
not DOMAIN.SID as mentioned in some articles/postings. Is there possibly
a link between these things? Or did I make a mistake in the
NT-configuration? At the moment I use a mixture between hosts and WINS
for the MS boxes.

Following most of my smb.conf for those ones who are still not totally
bored:

[global]
guest account = nobody
os level = 65
security = user
encrypt passswords = yes
map to guest = never
local master = yes
interfaces = my.I.P.address/255.255.255.224
wins support = yes
wins proxy = yes
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes

[netlogon]
path = /netlogon

[homes]
browseable = yes
read only = no
create mode = 0750

[test1]
browseable = yes
read-only = no
create mode = 0750
directory = /home/testshare

My problem is very similar to those ones  posted from
yann.foissac http://us1.samba.org/listproc/samba-ntdom/4475.html)
and  Frederic Lejal http://us1.samba.org/listproc/samba-ntdom/4601.html,
but unfortuanetly I also was  not able to find a solution for my problem
in the archive.

Please give my some hints to solve this stupid problem, I am getting
really fuzzed about it, and I have no more ideas after some weeks of
trial and reading.

Thank you very much for your help and ANY kind of hint

Cheers

Bjoern