Password change from NT apparently solved

Paulo Afonso Graner Fessel pafessel at netsol.com.br
Thu Jul 29 14:00:53 GMT 1999

Bart Dorsey wrote:

> I was reading your post to the Samba-NTDOM mailing list about using
> chpasswd to enable changing passwords on Redhat.
>
> I tried this on Redhat 6.0, and it sucessfully changes the password,
> but...
>
> It doesn't change it to what I typed.
>
> the password field in /etc/shadow changes, but I can't login.
>
> I'm running Samba 2.0.5 with Windows 98 as the client.

	I've performed the tests with 2.0.4b and NT Workstation 4.0. 2.0.5 gave me
a lot of troubles with printing, which have been corrected in 2.0.5a.

	Also, AFAIK, in Windows 98 you can't change the password with Ctrl-Alt-Del
dialog; you MUST use NET PASSWORD command, which requires some fiddling
with "password level" option in section "global" of your smb.conf file.
Also, you can try change the protocol to "COREPLUS" instead of "NT1" (only
if you don't have NT machines on your network), as it leaves the password
alone.

> I'm using this in the smb.conf
>
> passwd program =  /bin/echo %u:%n | /usr/sbin/chpasswd
> passwd chat = .
>
> Is there anything you can think of that I'm missing in this setup?
>
> (Note: if i run chpasswd from the command line it works)

	This is an indication that the password is being changed while it goes
from your workstation to the server. In Win95 4.0.950a (AKA SP1), I can't
even change the password, as the server says it's incorrect.

	P.

--
"Enormes orçamentos para propaganda somente existem quando os produtos não
se diferenciam. Pois se esses produtos realmente fossem diferentes um do

Sol Hadden em "Contato", de Carl Sagan