Possibly a security flaw...

Panagiotis Malakoudis pmal at space.gr
Fri Jul 23 06:35:25 GMT 1999

A summary of my problem,

I had wrong UIDs for a user (eg pmal) between the /etc/passwd file and the
smbpasswd file.
When I was trying to loggin from a couple of machines running either win nt
or win 98 I was reading in the log files that the loggin could not be
completed because the UID were wrong but there were instances were I could
loggin from another computer with the same username.
I really cannot say what are the differences between the various compter
systems and why some of them didn't reply "Bad password" as they should.

Is this a bug? Was it fixed somehow?

Malakoudis Panagiotis
System Administrator
Space Hellas S.A.