RPC ERROR

trash trash at linuxstart.com
Tue Jul 20 10:24:49 GMT 1999

Hi,
can somebody tell me what am I doing wrong to never get access to the
'security tab' (ownership).
Through Network Neighborhood, when seeing 'properties-tools-administer', I
always get the message : 'The server <\\our_server_name> does not accept
remote requests.'
And of course, when I'm trying 'properties-security-permissions/auditing'
it crashes with 'The remote procedure call failed' (so from
http://anu.samba.org/swat/help/NT_Security.html, that
should be normal I should get another message)
When I'm trying 'properties-security-ownership' I get a beautifull 'This
program has perform ...', the wonderfull well know and very explicit
message.
Our log file gives the messy :
[1999/07/20 11:56:05, 1] smbd/ipc.c:(3267)
api_fd_reply: INVALID PIPE HANDLE: 0
We are using Samba 2.0.4b (precompiled version from this site)
here are our lines from smb.conf (do not laught, we are testing it, it is
not under production for now)
-----------------------------
[GLOBAL]
security = domain
netbios name = <our_netbios_name>
debuglevel=1
syslog=3
password server= <our_pdc_1>, <our_bdc_1>
passwd chat debug = yes
log file=/var/adm/samba/log.%m
smb passwd file=/var/adm/samba/password.samba
server string=Samba for HP-UX Server (%v)
lock dir=/var/adm/samba
encrypt passwords=yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program=/usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat=*password*%n\n*password*%n\n*succesfull*
workgroup=<our_domain>
wins support=no
wins server=<our_ip_wins_server>
domain master = no
local master = no
preferred master = no
os level = 0
preferred master=no
browse list=no
browseable=yes
guest account=SAMBA
printcap name=lpstat
dont descend=/dev
add user script=/usr/sbin/useradd %u -g SAMBA
delete user script=/usr/sbin/userdel %u
username map=/var/adm/samba/admin/username.map
name resolve order = lmhosts hosts wins bcast
##domain admin group = /var/adm/samba/admin/domaingroup.map
nt acl support = true
[netlogon]
comment = Used to test
locking = no
public = no
browseable = yes
path = /tmp
[homes]
comment= Home directory
path=/home/%u
browseable = yes
guest ok = no
writable = yes
[eric]
comment = Directory for a test
path = /home/eric
browseable = yes
guest ok = no
admin users = unadministrateur
[Printer1]
comment=Printer local 2.11.1
browseable=yes
path=/usr/spool/lp/samba
valid users=@SAMBA
create mask=0770
print command=lp -c -d%p %s; rm %s
printer=hp5n2111_1
print ok=yes
[castin]
comment = un repertoire
path = /home/castin
write list = @SAMBA
create mask = 0644
guest ok = yes
[admin]
comment= Another directory for the test
path = /home
write list = @root
create mask = 0644
SAMBA is an existing group on unix,
/var/adm/samba/admin/username.map is filled with :
root=Administrator unadministrateur
unadministrateur : name of a user that is know under our domain and that
have an account on HPUX (same one as 'admin users = unadministrateur' under
[eric] section.)
The windows login 'unadministrateur' have the administrator right under
this domain.
We are using an HP-UX 10.20.
So, what king of service sould I use, start, cancel ... ?
What kind parameter should I avoid, use, modify ... ?
There is an 'rpcclient' program on /opt/samba/bin, should I use this ?
We try all kind of connection from NT server, from Win95 with both account
'administrator', 'unadministrateur' , 'toto', his uncle and so on ..
everything goes wrong for us.
Can somebody eventually give me an 'proper' smb.conf that works ?
In advance, thanks to.

Regards.

------
Do you do Linux? :)