Publisher and 2.0.4b

Norman Weathers norman at lithe.uark.edu
Mon Jul 19 16:42:39 GMT 1999

Hello.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems using Publisher
97 and samba before?  I am using samba 2.0.4b with the unsupported
PDC code (yeah, I know, I should be running one of the CVS HEAD
branch stuff, but I am daring <grin>), and just recently had a
problem with Publisher.  It would take forever to copy from the
temp file that it created (in the public directory network share,
no doubt <arrgghh>) to the public share where it was supposed to be
saved (a subdirectory of the public directory).  Actually, it failed
the copy stating that there was a network redirector timeout, and then
produced a nice screen saying that the disk was full (bunch of bull
since there was over 70 M available on the quota, and the file, when
finished, is only 600 K.  Not to mention, the person who owns the
actual file has an unrestricted quota, so they can't be running out of
disk space, even when another person is updating that file... ie, not
the original owner).  I was just wondering if this was another
of Micro$ofts ways of trying to keep its market share, a "known bug",
or something else.

My system is a RedHat Linux 6.0 running kernel 2.2.10 (lean compiled
kernel)on a Gateway 2000 PII 266 with 64 M Ram.  There is 2 Gig
available in the pub directory.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.  My
smb.conf file is attatched.

Thanks!

Norman Weathers
Technology Coordinator ETS
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

phone: (501) 575-3553 or (501) 575-4344
email: nweathe at comp.uark.edu or norman at lithe.uark.edu

"It's not that I 'prefer' to do this without an NT server.... I
just 'prefer' to do it where it will work..."