First Time PDC Setup Problems

Daniel Rinehart danielr at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Jul 17 05:11:25 GMT 1999

	I've just started experimenting with setting up a PDC and have run into
a couple of odd problems. I'm starting from scratch and following the
directions in Chapter 22 of the SAMS Samba book.

1) get, configure, and build latest Samba source (no problem)
2) create minimal smb.conf and make sure it passes testparm (no problem)

	[global]
	netbios name = PILGRIM
	workgroup = BEOWULF
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes

	[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	path = %H
	valid users = %S
	create mode = 0600
	directory mode = 0700
	locking = no

3) convert existing /etc/passwd file to smbpasswd (no problem)
4) start smbd and nmbd (seems okay)
5) look through private/

	-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           42 Jul 16 23:26 .SID
	-rw-------   1 root     root         3989 Jul 16 23:16 smbpasswd

	Hmmm. Shouldn't that be "BEOWULF.SID" ? (ignore and continue)

6) test 'smbclient -L PILGRIM -N' and 'nmblookup PILGRIM' (no problem)
7) add new user called 'testuser' to /etc/passwd (no problem)
8) add new user via smbpasswd

	-229- pilgrim /usr/local/samba/ # bin/smbpasswd -a testuser
	New SMB password:
	Retype new SMB password:
	Failed to add entry for user testuser.
	Failed to change password entry for testuser

	This is where I'm currently stuck. As a test, I got the source for
samba-2.0.4b and duplicated the above steps, and the smbpasswd succeeded
without any problems.
	I'm running Linux 2.2.7, shadow 19990709, and samba sources from July
16th. Below is a run of the smbpasswd at '-D 10'.
	Thanks for any help.

- Daniel R. <danielr at ccs.neu.edu> [http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/danielr/]

getpwnam(testuser)
Building passwd hash table
Building passwd hash table for the first time
Found: testuser:x:501:100::/home/testuser:/bin/bash
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
getpwnam(testuser)
Found: testuser:x:501:100::/home/testuser:/bin/bash
search by name: testuser
startfileent: opening file /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
getfileline: skipping comment or blank line
getfileline: skipping comment or blank line
getfileline: skipping comment or blank line
getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for unix user root, unix uid 0
unixuser:root uid:0 acb:10
pwdb_smb_map_names: unix root nt NULL unix 0 nt-1
lookupsmbpwnam: unix user name root
getpwnam(root)
Found: root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/tcsh
lookupsmbpwuid: unix uid 0
initialising map
lookupsmbpwuid: unix uid 0
endfileent: closed file.
pwdb_smb_map_names: NULL
pwdb_smb_map_names: unix NULL nt testuser unix 501 nt-1
lookupsmbpwuid: unix uid 501
lookupsmbpwntnam: nt user name testuser
name 'testuser' split into domain: and nt name:testuser'