Head branch without encrypted passwords

David Krovich dkrovich at wvu.edu
Sun Jul 11 19:06:01 GMT 1999

	Yeah me too.  But my reason for doing this is ease of migration.
With dual personalities, I can setup a server that excepts encrypted passwords
with one personality, and plain text passwords with another personality.
Then I can leisurely reconfigure all the client machines at my own pace.

	Samba is already widely deployed at my organization using plain
text passwords, so if I had to go to encrypted passwords all in one
day it would be a huge pain.

	In your case, I'm guessing in your case you haven't patched the
registry, so you're getting the expected behavior:  NT 4.0 can't connect to
a plain text password server.  In my case I have patched the registry, so
I should be able to connect to a plain text password server with an NT 4.0
client, but I can't with the HEAD branch.  Only with 2.0.4b and anything
lower.

David Krovich
West Virginia University
Manager/Information Systems
Computer Science & Electrical Engineering