questions with Samba as a PDC

mmt4q mmt4q at ee.virginia.edu
Thu Jul 8 21:02:11 GMT 1999

Hi,

We've been using Samba 2.0.2 on a Solaris 2.6 machine for file and print

services only successfully for a while.  I finally made the changes so
that
Samba is now a PDC and roaming profiles appear to work (only tested so
far with a WinNTSP3 workstation).

My questions that follow would apply if I was using the CVS code as
well, so if anyone can provide suggestions they are greatly
appreciated.  :-)

1.  If you absolutely have to have an entry for each machine/workstation
in /etc/passwd and the smbpasswd, this requires that I give each machine

a unique UID?  For example if I have more than 100 workstations to add
I'm going to have to assign 100 different UIDs.  Our campus uses global
UIDs so I only have a few UIDs to work with (only numbers < 500 are
available).

2.  Are there any limits/restrictions on how many domain users/entries
you
can have with version 2.0.2?  I read on the NTDOM list recently that in
a CVS code version there was a limit of 250 domain users with Samba as
the PDC.

3.  Do the entries in the NTDOM_FAQ only pertain to the CVS Head?

Because:

a.  The parameters "domain group map", "local group map", and "domain
user map" are "unknown" to Samba 2.0.2   Do they work with Samba 2.0.4b
or only the CVS Head?   I want to give some users Administrator
privileges on their local machine.

b.  I would like to use the "unix password sync" setup described since
my samba server is also my Solaris NIS master.

Thank you all for your assistance and documentation!

Melissa
--
Melissa Thrush
Dept. of Electrical Engineering