Samba won't make itself PDC

Aaron Rainwater aar at cypress.com
Wed Jul 7 21:11:21 GMT 1999

Okay...

First, I added "os level = 64" to smb.conf
My Samba server is showing up as the master using smbclient.
Using smbclient, I can access shares as any user in the smbpasswd
file.  But when I try to logon using NT, I get "The system could
not log you on.  Make sure your User name and domain are correct..."
I have an account for the NT machine in smbpasswd, which was added
using "smbpasswd -a -m MACHINE_NAME".  Once logged on, I can easily
access any shares on my Samba server, so it seems like the machine
doesn't think it's got an account on my Samba server.  One more thing
I thought of is that I think my MACHINE.SID got toasted.  Would this
require EVERY user account be recreated, or just the one for the
NT machine?

And from my nbtstat results, it looked like the "os level" tweak
worked just fine.  :)

C:\>nbtstat -a flavius
       NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

   Name               Type         Status
FLAVIUS        <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
CADC           <00>  GROUP       Registered
FLAVIUS        <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
FLAVIUS        <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
CADC           <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-50-04-60-5C-A4

C:\>nbtstat -a cadc_smb1
       NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

   Name               Type         Status
CADC_SMB1      <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
CADC_SMB1      <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
CADC_SMB1      <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered
CADC           <00>  GROUP       Registered
CADC           <1B>  UNIQUE      Registered
CADC           <1C>  GROUP       Registered
CADC           <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
CADC           <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

--
Aaron Rainwater
CADC Co-op