samba and vmware

Scott Barker scott at mostlylinux.ab.ca
Sun Jul 4 19:56:17 GMT 1999

Several people responded to my request for help in this matter. Thank you.
>From reading the several technical documents and articles I was pointed to, I
have determined that duplicate SIDs will not be a problem, because I am
operating in a purely domain environment with no local NT accounts, and
duplicate SIDs only cause a problem in peer workgroups with local accounts.

However, the problem of duplicate names remains. The free program NEWSID can
change the computer's name for me. Does anyone know of a way I can invoke this
program after NT get's it's DHCP information, but before it tries to join the
domain? I figure if I can grab the hostname provided by DHCP, and change the
machine name to match before the computer joins the domain, my problem should
be solved.

Scott Barker       scott at mostlylinux.ab.ca
Linux Consultant   http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott

Want a good deal on a personal computer in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?
Visit http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott/computers.shtml

Looking for a husband? Know anyone looking for a husband? Well, I'm looking
for a wife. http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott/wife.shtml

[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success."
   - Christopher Lasch