samba and vmware

Scott Barker scott at mostlylinux.ab.ca
Sat Jul 3 19:46:58 GMT 1999

Is anyone using vmware for linux in conjunction with samba? I'd like to setup
all of my linux workstations to be able to run NT4 in a virtual machine, and
connect to my samba server. Ideally, this would be done by installing a single
image of NT4 onto a virtual machine, and copying it to all the workstations. I
forsee a problem, though, since the machine name and ID will also be
duplicated, and thus samba would see identical machine names and IDs from
different IP addresses. Can samba handle this? Or is this doomed to failure?

Scott Barker       scott at mostlylinux.ab.ca
Linux Consultant   http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott

Want a good deal on a personal computer in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?
Visit http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott/computers.shtml

Looking for a husband? Know anyone looking for a husband? Well, I'm looking
for a wife. http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott/wife.shtml

[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.  I want to achieve
   immortality through not dying."
   - Woody Allen