Can't Join and GNU problem found

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Fri Jul 2 17:02:45 GMT 1999

Cabler, Adam W wrote:

>         As far as the gnu problem, I think there is a problem when compiling
> samba with gnu on IRIX 6.x.  I just brought up a new 6.5 machine, and after
> getting the can't IPC stat problem, I was at a loss for a day or so until I
> tried compiling with the SGI cc compiler.  This woked fine and seemed to fix
> my problems.  I have to wonder if SGI didn't introduce some incompatability
> so ppl would have to license their compiler, which no longer comes under the
> normal development license.  Anyway, just thought that might help someone
> with the same problem.

No, it's not intentional (I work for SGI). THe problem
is that gcc and IRIX cc use different structure passing
conventions on the stack. Normally this isn't a problem
as there are no system calls that take a structure rather
than a pointer..... except one :-). You guessed it, it's
that semop() call :-(. That's why to make Samba work with
sysV shared memory on IRIX you have to use IRIX cc. It
works fine if you tell it to use the shared memory code
that does mmap+fcntl locking.

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.