Local Profiles

Daniel Fonseca daniel at med.up.pt
Fri Jan 29 12:42:31 GMT 1999

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Frank Hartung wrote:

> I think this is not a solution for that problem. Specifying a path like
> %SystemRoot%\profile\%U is also a server profile, but it is stored at
> the local hard disk. In addition this cause an interaction with the

What you are talking about is called a local cache of the roaming profile.
Windows NT does this allways, by default, and keeps the last n profiles
stored locally unless you set a registry key disabling this behaviour.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Edit or add value DeleteRoamingCache as type REG_DWORD. Set it to 1.

(There has already been great deal of talk about this in previous posts
and I recall someone making a profile.txt somewhere - look it up)

> local profiles (there are always local copys of the profiles) because of
> equal directory names. Example: I have a local user Administrator with
> the profile .../profiles/Administratior and a Network Administrator with
> the profile .../profiles/Administrator.000. The server profile of the

When username conflicts occur, NT resolves this by making sequential
extensions (from 000 then on) and by knowing exactly to whom each profile
directory corresponds (Registry entries).

> Administrator is then occupied by the local Administrator. I think,
> during logon process there must be a packape that switch between local
> and server profiles (i found a dialog box with this items) and it looks
> like samba is always choosing the server profile. Any ideas? When not, i
> have to go thru the code and the debug messages to find this stuff.

When the local and roaming profiles differ, NT prompts the user to choose
one.

Hope to help,

Daniel Fonseca