Encrypted passwords really necessary for PDC ?

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Thu Jan 28 14:03:41 GMT 1999

> 	We use Clyde Hoover's npasswd on Solaris boxes as a replacement for the
> standard passwd program and have hacked that to call the SAMBA smbpasswd
> program.  So when a user changes their password under Solaris smbpasswd
> gets updated as well.  We needed to use an Expect script to get round
> smbpasswd wanting terminal input, but otherwise it was pretty
> straightforward.
Sounds good. But want about users invoking smbpasswd directly or
changing their passwords from the net, for example from NT with
"alt+ctr+del"?
Are you working with "unix passwd sync" or is there an easy way to
configure samba not to change passwords remotly.

(I'm asking this, because I can't get unix passwd sync working: When
I debugg it, it works; when a users uses it it doesn't.)

Christian

  Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. Christian Barth

  Universitaet Kaiserslautern
  Lehrstuhl fuer Fertigungstechnik und Betriebsorganisation
  Abteilung Fertigungstechnologie
  Raum 42/472

  Postfach 3049
  67655 Kaiserslautern