Encrypted passwords really necessary for PDC ?

Ingo Kley Ingo.Kley at lampebank.de
Wed Jan 27 14:01:31 GMT 1999

> Subject:       Encrypted passwords really necessary for PDC ?

> Hello,

> I'm trying to switch our old "share-only" setup  of  SAMBA  to  a  PDC
> configuration  and  migrating  all our W95 clients to NT/WS, trying to
> make them secure.
[...]
> - if I use  encrypted  passwords,  Samba  will  only  get  those  from
> smbpassword and not from Unix /etc/passwd or NIS map, right ? How can
> I "copy" my user's passwords from the NIS map to smbpasswd ? I've read
> things  along  the  lines  of  "running  for  a  while  with cleartext
> passwords" on this list but I don't get it yet.

Hello,

it works like this:
cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh >/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
After this, the new file smbpasswd includes the passwords.

If you are running NIS try this:
ypcat passwd  | mksmbpasswd.sh > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

Bye
Ingo Kley
Westerfeldstr. 140B
33613 Bielefeld