Updated FAQ

Matthew Geier matthew at janus.law.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 26 22:05:20 GMT 1999

> * It is possible with some tools to include domain
>   users in NTFS directory and file ACLs.  However, explorer.exe
>   is not one of these tools.  However, \winnt\system32\calcs.exe
>   does! This is working against CVS source code from mid
>   december with a couple of small fixes.  Haven't tried
>   it against today's source. Anyone feel up to it?

 As of a week ago - if I ran cacls.exe , I get lass.exe crashing and
the system is 'dead'.

 Ill do another update, install it and give it a try.

 BTW - does any one have any good references on how make Netscape behave
on a 'secured' NT workstationa and keep its user profile on a network
drive ?.

 Im 3 weeks from going live with a 15 NT wks student lab served from a
2.1alpha server. Other than securing the directories by hand due to cacls
blowing the system, I still havent beaten netscape into shape.

 My aim of course is not to allow the students to do any thing at all to
the workstatiosn :-), the local ACL stuff (other than protection) and using
usermgr and friends is all not needed to keep students under control.