CTRL-ALT-DEL Password Change Problem

Pedro Miguel Frazão F. Ferreira pfrazao at ualg.pt
Sat Jan 16 15:06:14 GMT 1999

Beej wrote:

> I'm working in an academic environment, and we have students working on
> Solaris 2.6 and NT 4 (not up to SP4 yet), and I'll be moving our
> NT clients onto a dedicated Samba-based PDC running on an Ultra1 SPARC.
>
> One of the main goals here will be to sync the passwords so students
> need only be concerned about the one (apparent) account.
>
> My problem is that I cannot change my NT password while served off
> samba using the CTRL-ALT-DEL method. It insists that I got my old
> password wrong, and so will not change (but it lets me log into the
> workstation to start with).
>
> The log message says:
> [1999/01/17 00:59:45, 0] smbd/chgpasswd.c:check_oem_password(741)
>   check_oem_password: old lm password doesn't match.

	Yesterday I experienced what I believe this problem is. At least I had
the same simptoms. The problem is that when samba tryes to change your
UNIX password, the UNIX password program is run as root and it does not
ask for an old password, but the chat password in smb.conf provides one.
The solution for me was to include these lines in smb.conf:

encrypt passwords = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *changed*
unix password sync = Yes

	Et voila ! Now the password chat does not provide a old password to the
UNIX passwd program which does not expect one (At least in my conf.:
samba2.0.0, Debian 2.1 (frozen dist-slink), NT Wkst 4 sp3).
	I think this is what you want. Hope this helps.

	Ciao,