problems with unix password sync

Jan van Rensburg jan.van.rensburg at epiuse.com
Wed Jan 13 15:09:53 GMT 1999

hi,
i'm having problems with the unix password sync in samba2.0.0b5.
my samba server is a linux box running as a PDC, and the client is an NT4
sp4 workstation. when i press ctrl+alt+del and change my password without
the "unix password sync" enabled everything works fine.
if however i add this to smb.conf:

        unix password sync = True
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *successfull*
	passwd chat debug = True

i get an "Error changing password..." message on NT and in log.<machinename>
i get:

[1998/01/13 11:40:49, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_pipe_request(592)
  api_pipe_request: **** MUST CALL become_user() HERE ****

when i run testparm i get:

ERROR: the 'unix password sync' parameter is set and the 'passwd program'
(/usr/bin/passwd %u) cannot be executed (error was No such file or
directory).

when i change:

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd

the unix password syncing work, except that it changes root's password and
not the samba user's password -  as should be expected, i guess...

any ideas?
thanks,

--jan van rensburg