Ugggg. i give mercy..

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Jan 12 02:59:23 GMT 1999

Sean Mathews wrote:

> 1. NT Servers 4.0 sp3 can not be connected to
>  giving errors
>   \\servername is not excessable
>   The server service is not started.

No idea.  Did the server service start and the
stop or is it running and the client complains?
Need more details?

> 2. I have servers all over my net that
>  keep telling me via Messanger service telling me the following.
>   From Server \\Servername
>   to: MYWORKSTATION
>   Subj: ** user notification **
>   date: etc etc
>    Your logon time at DOMAINNAME has ended.
>
> 3. I have the annoyance of being told i need
>   to change my password when i logon.

These two are probably related.  I found some problems
with the NTTIME variables in the passdb files.  Haven't
had a time to check the changes in.  Will try to do so
tomorrow.  They're fairly simple.

> It is my feeling that ither everyone is aware of these
> issues and is working on them but not telling me
> or the PDC code is not working and I am the only
> one who is realy testing this in an environment
> with multiple NT servers,Workstations(IE WE DONT HAVE 95)

Nope.  I'm running about 45 NT Workstations off of
Dec 20th's build in a production environment.

<rant removed>
> Sorry for ranting but at this point im still with
> no PDC thus i cant get to any of my shars thus i am

It's ok to rant sometimes.  :-)

> Anyway if someone on the current CVS tree does have a
> true test network please comment to the group what your
> results are.. Tell people what your setup is like so
> we can fix these few problems and keep moving.

OK.  Here's what I have.  This setup works off of a mid
to late December build of 2.1prealpha.

Server   	: Sparc Ultra Enterprise 2
		  	w/ 512 RAM running Solaris 2.6
			attached to a virtual network
			interface

CVS build	: December 18, 1998

Clients 	: ~40 NT 4.0 SP3 workstations
		  with some additional hotfixes (one
		  Wks with SP4).  32 of these machines are
		  in a student lab that is open 24 hours a day
		  and the rest are sitting on faculty desktops

Additional servers:

Samba 1.9.18p7 serving running on the primary interface of
the PDC (yep that's 2 Samba servers of the same machine)
The 1.9.18p7 server serves files and printers to the NT box.
I did this because of stability problems in the early
implementation of NT SMB suport in the Samba code.  It's has
hung around.

*****
This Sun also acts as a font server and NFS for about
400 Sun workstations and serves NFS to Samba server
which serves about ~200 machines.

*****
Here's the relavent parts of the smb.conf file for the
PDC.
#
#   @(#)smb.conf.hme0-1 1.50 1/11/99   Jerry Carter
#                                      COE Network Services
#
#       /etc/smb.conf for a Samba Windows NT PDC
#

[global]
        ; machine SMB settings
        workgroup = ENG-NT
        netbios name = KEATING
        server string = Samba PDC [%v]

        ; server settings
        security = user
        domain logons = yes
        hosts allow = <snipped out>
        invalid users = root guest sync bin sys adm smtp uucp listen
        wins server = <snipped out...it's a 1.9.18p4 server>
        lock directory = /var/spool/locks/keating
        log file = /var/log/log.keating.%m
        interfaces = <snipped out>
        socket address = <snipped out>
        bind interfaces only = yes

        ; logon parameters for users
        logon script = ntmount.bat
        logon drive = H:
        logon path = \\lab1\profile\%U
        logon home = "\\lab1\%U"
        include = /usr/samba/lib/users/%U.conf

        ; password settings
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /usr/samba/private/smbpasswd

        ; Administrative settings
        ; **do not** use these parameters.  the resulting code
        ; has n**2 complexity that causes the Name Service cache
        ; daemon (nscd) to go through the roof!  GWC
        ; domain group map = /usr/samba/lib/domain_group.map
        ; local group map = /usr/samba/lib/local_group.map
        ; domain user map = /usr/samba/lib/domain_user.map

        ; global printing settings
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /etc/printcap

        ; case settings
        default case = lower
        preserve case = yes

        ; browsing settings
        os level = 64
        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes

        ; default service parameters
        browseable = yes
        public = no
        locking = no

;
; Netlogon service to support logins
;
[netlogon]
        path = /usr/samba/lib/netlogon
        writeable = no
        public = no
        write list = cartegw
        browseable = no
        case sensitive = no

Hope that helps (or at least encourages you some), :-)
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )