unbecome_user bug reproduced in Beta-5

thwartedefforts at wonky.org thwartedefforts at wonky.org
Sun Jan 10 06:36:44 GMT 1999

On Sat, 09 January 1999, Dejan Ilic wrote:

> > This could be related to starting up samba while in the source directory.  > > After installation, change to / or /tmp, and start it from there.
>
> hmm. But why is it triggered after a while and not directly ?

Because you removed the source directory?  It is not an error if it can
successsfully change to the directory it wants to, but I suspect it will
generate that error if you remove the source directory and you had started
it in the source directory.

> And why not do a chroot if you need to have / as root directory ?

Er, usually, / should already be the root directory, so there is no need to
chroot to it.

> Not everybody will know this trick.

What trick?

> It is possible that I started samba from that dir, not thinking about
> it as I restart with a init.d script.

I suspose you could put cd / in the script.