Samba Serving two domains/workgroups...

Daniel Thies dthies at mail.ctsfw.edu
Sat Feb 27 02:13:02 GMT 1999

We have been running several domains on one machine for several months
now.  Each domain is server by a completely separate set of smbd and
nmbd processes.  They are kept separate by compiling different binaries
from the samba source and configuring different --prefix options.  For
example
   cd samba
   configure --prefix=/usr/local/dom1
   make
   make install
   configure --prefix=/usr/local/dom2
   make
   make install

Then set of two separate configuration files,
/usr/local/dom[12]/lib/smb.conf
and smbpasswd files
/usr/local/dom[12]/lib/smbpasswd

Set the interface parameter to the appropriate address in each config
file and do not change the default directories unless you know what your
doing.  Sharing the same lock directory for example will cause a crash,
all though sharing smbpasswd seems to work fine if you like that sort of
thing.

Daniel Thies
dthies at mail.ctsfw.edu