Update suggestion for Samba NT Domain FAQ

Pedro Miguel Frazao Fernandes Ferreira pfrazao at ualg.pt
Mon Feb 22 12:31:43 GMT 1999

Bill Nugent wrote:

> [...]
>   the Samba PDC) and run clients on the NT workstations.  If you don't
>   do this then it is possible for profile updates to fail under some
>   circumstatnces.
>
>   In the Samba 2.0.0 and 2.0.2 releases the RedHat sample smb.conf
>   file need this line added to [Profiles] share:
>
>    writeable = true
>
> o If using NT server to log in, run the User Manager for Domains, and
>   add the capability to "Log in Locally" to the policies, which you
>   would have to do even if you were logging in to another NT PDC
>   instead of a Samba PDC.
>
> o Set up the following parameters in smb.conf
>
>    ; substitute your workgroup here
>    workgroup = SAMBA
>
>    ; tells workstations to use SAMBA as its Primary Domain Controller.
>    domain logons = yes
>
> o Starting smbd will create a file name private/SAMBA.SID with
>   permissions rw-r--r--. The file contains the domain SID for the
>   samba PDC. The filename will differ depending on the value of the
>   workgroup parameter.  If the contents of this file change, no domain
>   members will be able to logon and will need to be readded to the
>   domain again.   Guard it carefully!
>
> o Make sure samba is running before the next step is carried out. if
>   this is your first time, just for fun you might like to switch the
>   debug log level to about 20. the NT pipes produces some very pretty
>   output when decoding requests and generating responses, which would
>   be particularly useful to see in tcpdump at some point.
>
> o In the NT Network Settings, change the domain to SAMBA. Do not
>   attempt to create an account using the other part of the dialog: it
>   will fail at present.
>
>   You should get a wonderful message saying "Welcome to the SAMBA
>   Domain."
>
>   If you don't, then please first increase your debug log levels and
>   also get a tcpdump (or preferably NetMonitor) trace and examine it
>   carefully.  You should see a NETLOGON, a SAMLOGON on UDP port
>   138. If you don't, then you probably don't have "domain logons =
>   yes" or there is some other problem in resolving the NetBIOS name
>   SAMBA<1c> or in the /etc/passwd and/or smbpasswd entries for the NT
>   client.
>
>   On port 139, you should see a LSA_OPEN_POLICY, two LSA_QUERY_INFOs
>   (one for a domain SID of S-1-3... and another for S-1-5) and then an
>   LSA_CLOSE or two.
>
>   You may see a pipe connection to a wkssvc pipe, and you may also see
>   a "Net Server Get Info" being issued on the srvsvc pipe.
>
>   Assuming you got the Welcome message, go through the obligatory
>   reboot (the NT box, not the Samba server).
>
> ..
>
> 2.6.  My Roaming Profiles are not updating!
>
> o Make sure the Directory Replicator Service is running and setup on
>   the NT Workstation:  Go to each workstation, Control Panel,
>   Services, set Directory Replicator Service to Automatic and start it
>   running.  Go to the Control Panel, Server, Replication, enable

	Wait. I think this is in order to use policies (.pol files with
registry settings which are loaded by W95, NT wkst, W98 machines).
policy files != roaming profiles. I believe the question to this should
be:

	My domain member computers are not reading the policy file from the
server. (Or something like this).