Summary of Re: how to save win profiles only on server?

Pedro Miguel Frazao Fernandes Ferreira pfrazao at ualg.pt
Mon Feb 22 12:18:55 GMT 1999

Bill Nugent wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> There were two responses to the MarcVJ's question and I'm trying
> understand this since I bumped into this today.  Doing only 3a below
> didn't fix it for me which is what I tried on my own.
>
> So the summary as I understand it is:
>
> 1. Control Panel/Services - set Directory Replicator Service to Automatic.
> 2. Control Panel/Server - under Replications, enable Import Directories.
>    It looks a bit more complicated this - need to tell it a local
>    directory (default okay?) and add the samba server - is this correct?
>    Tomorrow morning I'll be trying out these steps but I don't have email
>    there so I'd like to avoid any potential problems)

        In my setup and based on what I could read from help files,
default
directory is ok and you do not need to add a samba server or domain name
if your NT workstation is properly setup as a member of a domain which
as a valid PDC (samba is great as PDC). If this is true the NT wkst
will, by default, download the policy file from its domain PDC. It
worked just fine for me.

> 3a. On a global basis create the ntconfig.pol and place it in [netlogon]
>     share as as outline by Pedro (below).  All the NT Workstations will
>     then properly use the Roaming Profiles

        Correction here: All the NT workstations will then properly use
the
policy file. Remember that this was to enable policies. Using policies
you can configure some things about roaming profiles. See the difference
? Policies are more/different than roaming profiles.