Samba as Resource Domain PDC?

John Morgan Salomon john at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Feb 17 14:51:37 GMT 1999

Hi there,

I suppose it's possible that I missed something in this mailing list's
archive, but I was wondering whether anyone has succeded in setting
up Samba 2.0 as a PDC in an NT resource domain?  I'm trying to add
an NT 4.0 workstation (create a domain account), but it can't find the
domain in question's PDC (Samba server is currently the only machine
in there.)

My NT server manager also can't find a PDC for the domain;  after reading
NTDOMAINS.txt, I got the impression that you couldn't really have an NT
domain without a PDC?  Am I totally on crack, or could someone give me
some tips on this?  I'm currently not overly concerned with tuning or
security, I would just like to get it working of at all possible.

Thanks,

-John

ps:  Here is my smb.conf

# Global parameters
        workgroup = ALPS-DEV
        netbios name = MATTERHORN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad Password
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/username.map
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 4
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast dns
        os level = 32
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins server = <my wins server's IP>