More Network Neighbourhood Problems

Ken Smith ksmith at barton.ca
Tue Feb 16 23:37:11 GMT 1999

I'm old to Linux but new to SaMBa and have been experimenting with
different configurations.  My original SMB install was a redhat RPM but I
have since downloaded 2.0.0 and installed it the old fashioned way.  Now
for the problem (smb.conf to follow):

When I originally installed smb and configured it I had trouble getting the
smb server to show up in Net Neighbours.  I eventually got it very stable.
Then I upgraded and presto everything worked great.  Then I noticed that
the server appeared in Net Neighbours when I first logged on but the first
time I went into it and then came back out it would disappear from the
list.  Domain was still there but no server....

To make a long story short, I have been playing and fiddling with the
smb.conf and now I can never get the server to appear in the network
neighbourhhood or via explorer.  I am using Win98 but we have mutlitudes of
Win95 machines that can not see the server either.  We can all access the
server using the "\\servername" format on the address line but I really
miss seeing the icon in network neighbourhood.
I should point out that when I access the domain via explorer then the
server icon appears in the left-hand pane under the domain icon but not in
the right-hand pane.

(a bit about our surroundings)
- the "trial" smb server is running on RedHat Linux 5.2
- it is connected to a large private class A network and resides on the
same subnet as one of our NT servers (however, putting it on a net by
itself did not correct the problem)
- it has it's own Domain name "SAMBA"
- it is presently acting as a login server for my workstation
- it is fairly friendly with the rest of the network

(the SMB.CONF file)
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.25.83.134 (10.25.83.134)
# Date: 1999/02/16 14:13:40

# Global parameters
     workgroup = SAMBA
     netbios name = TRIAL
     encrypt passwords = Yes
     map to guest = Bad User
     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
     username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map
     log level = 3
     log file = /usr/local/samba/logs/log.%m
     time server = Yes
     load printers = No
     domain logons = Yes
     os level = 40
     preferred master = Yes
     domain master = Yes
     dns proxy = No
     wins server = 10.25.83.156
     guest account = pcguest
     hosts allow = 10.25.

[homes]
     comment = Home Directories (by user name)
     path = /home/%u
     read only = No
     create mask = 0750
     browseable = No

[tmp]
     comment = Temporary file space
     path = /tmp
     guest ok = Yes

[public]
     comment = Public Stuff
     path = /home/samba
     write list = @staff
     guest ok = Yes

[pchome]
     comment = PC Directories (by netbios machine name)
     path = /home/%m
     username = %S
     force user = %m
     read only = No

[sagidocs]
     path = /sagidocs/sagidocs
     force group = users
     read only = No
     guest ok = Yes

[software]
     path = /sagidocs/software
     read only = No
     guest only = Yes
     guest ok = Yes

[ftp_pub]
     path = /home/ftp/pub
     force group = ftp
     read only = No
     guest ok = Yes

[Private]
     comment = Share to test group options
     path = /sagidocs/private
     guest account =
     valid users = admin scrappydoo  @staff
     force user = coe
     force group = staff
     read only = No

I am open to any and all suggestions on what I am doing wrong here....as I
said, I had that darn icon and it occassionally faded but now it is gone
entirely and I assume it is a conflict in the network somewhere but I
haven't been able to see it in the log.nmb.

HELP!