Readline & Samba ?

Dejan Ilic svedja at lysator.liu.se
Sat Feb 13 22:15:35 GMT 1999

Samba-2.0.2 configure script seems to have problems with
readline-library. First is doesn't detect it in /usr/local/lib, but
later it has problems with checking for readline in -lreadline.

Is readline used somewhere in Samba-source or is it just rudimentary
code leftover from old times ? The configure checks for
"readline"-function but it is not used anywhere.

***
First problem is because it doesn't check for readline
files in /usr/local/[include|lib]. I didn't find any good place to add
extra include places for compilation in configure so I suggest we add
it. Same for additional libraries on "non-standard" places.

Second problem can be illustrated by this (Solaris 2.6 x86 &
Gcc-2.8.1) :

configure:3514: checking for readline in -lreadline
configure:3533: gcc -o conftest -O  -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
conftest.c -lreadline  -ldl  -lpam 1>&5
tgetnum /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(readline.o)
tgetstr /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(readline.o)
tgoto /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(display.o)
tputs /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(readline.o)
tgetent /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(readline.o)
tgetflag /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a(readline.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
configure: failed program was:
#line 3522 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char readline();

int main() {
readline()
; return 0; }