network neighborhood problems - solution

Jan van Rensburg jan.van.rensburg at epiuse.com
Fri Feb 12 06:30:18 GMT 1999

i finally fixed the network neighborhood problems thanks to kenny's advice.
in smb.conf i changed to:

local master = yes (was no)
os level = 40 (was 30)
preferred master = yes (was no)

thanks to all who replied. i'd like to summarize all the advice i've
received:

1. make sure the broadcast address on the interface is correct
2. make sure that wins server = <server> is correct
3. only use tcp/ip
4. make sure the workgroup setting is correct
5. make sure nmbd is running
6. put a static mapping in the nt WINS database of the samba machine (still
don't know if this is good advice)
7. make the samba server the master browser

--jan van rensburg