problems with group relationships !!!

Adam Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Feb 5 23:15:50 GMT 1999

On Feb 6,  5:13am, Christian E wrote:
> Subject: problems with group relationships !!!
> Hi, all.
>
> 	I'm currently trying to implement a samba server as a file server in my
> company instead of our current NT-server. At the moment the Samba server
> is not a domain controller, but it will be one day. I'm having major
> problems at the moment though...here goes:
>
> 	It seems as if the Samba- daemon only reads what group the user belongs
> to when it is started/restarted. Can it really be true ??? I have made
> several tests and they indicate this. IMHO the only proper way to
> control access to various shares are on a per group basis, and it works
> in NT. But if I remove a user from a group on the Samba-server machine,
> the user can still delete/create files as if he was stil a menber of the
> group until I restart Samba.
> 	Do I have to set up the Samba server as a PDC to solve or...???
> I really hope there is a simple solution to this or otherwise I'll have
> to skip implementing Samba,because this is just as bad as rebooting an
> NT-server once in a while in my opinion. A server should not need to be
> restarted.....
> 	Phew, that's all...hope you can help

Have you tried "killall -1 smbd" this causes Samba to reload it's config
without shuting down or restarting.  It works great for me.  I've never changed
a user's group while poeple were logged in so I don't know if it does that,
 but I know it relaods just about everything else.  Note that this in on a
Linux system, don't know about other systems.  Let me know.