New domain/group maps and localized versions of NT?

FAUCONNET Alain af at biomath.jussieu.fr
Fri Feb 5 11:36:34 GMT 1999

Hello,

I have read this in the NTDOM archives (sorry,  I  didn't  retain  the
author's name) :

[*** begin quote ***]

If you're running the head cvs branch, it's another story.

To sum up in when the samba server is a PDC:
smb.conf:

        domain user map = /usr/local/samba/lib/domainuser.map
        domain group map = /usr/local/samba/lib/domaingroup.map

domainuser.map contains the mapping between the NT users and their
equivalent on Unix:

[[root at doubleface lib]# cat domainuser.map
root administrator

     ^^^-> a tab or an '=' sign should work.

domaingroup.map contains the mapping between the NT domain groups and the
Unix groups

[[root at doubleface lib]# cat domaingroup.map
wheel "Domain Admins"

     ^^^-> a tab or an '=' sign should work.

'wheel' must be in /etc/group. All the Unix users who are in the 'wheel'
unix group will be domain admins on the NT side.

[*** end quote ***]

This seems to imply  that  those  file  will  determine  a  ONE-TO-ONE
equivalence   between  the  Unix  and  NT  groups.  Unfortunately  the
brainless  people  at  Microsoft  have  localized  the names of the NT
groups.  For the french version for example, the "Domain Admins" group
has  become  "Administrateurs  du domaine" or something like that (how
about  logging into your Unix station with "racine" instead of "root" ?
they really don't think a second  when  it  comes  to   fool  with  OS
*constants* in the name of localization).

I'm  still  using  the 2.0.0 production code but planning to switch to
the HEAD branch soon, and this is a concern to me. How will the domain
group map handle  localized  group  names ?  will  it  allow  multiple
right-hand values ? (same goes for domain user maps)

Greetings from Paris,
_Alain_
--
Alain FAUCONNET  Ingenieur systeme/System Administrator   AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE
Medical Computing Research Labs         Mail: af at biomath.jussieu.fr
Tel: (+33) (0)1-40-77-96-19             Fax: (+33) (0)1-45-86-80-68
    I've RTFMed. It says: "Refer to your system administrator"
            But... I *am* the system administrator :-]