Turning OFF Network Profiles Safely

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Fri Feb 5 06:17:32 GMT 1999

At 11:58 AM 05/02/1999 +1100, Todd Stiers wrote:
>Roaming profiles are wrecking havoc on my now NT-SERVERLESS
>NT domain :)
>
>I tried to turn them off by commenting out the "logon path"
>line in the smb.conf and restarting smbd.

It seems that if you do NTDomain you are stuck with domain profiles. You
can tell the workstations not to cache locally, very important if each
computer has a large number of users (ie in a lab). You should also tell
Internet Explorer not to save it (huge) cache.

In one lab under my care I have a post exec that removes the users profile
off the server after they log off ! Anyone leave things on the desktop and
its lost ! This way the profile is still sent to the server, but at least
it does not grow endlessly.

If the samba team ever decides to make samba do _more_ (rather than just
better) than NT, control of user profiles would be a good place to start.

David

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au