passwds

Christian Kumpf Christian.Kumpf at Dauenhauer.DE
Tue Feb 2 16:36:21 GMT 1999

Gerald Carter wrote:

> No. NT uses the standard challeng response for the old
> password and then encrypts th plain text of the new one
> with the hash of the old one.

As far as I understand, this implies that I need root-privileges to the
password database to change the unix-password since the old password is
transfered encrypted. Is there a hack (other than extra client/server
programs for passowrd-changes) to have password sync in a setup, where
the unix-password-database is on a different computer (i.e. unix
passwords are distributed via NIS)?

--
Christian Kumpf           Systeam Engineering GmbH
System Developer          Donnersbergring 15