runaway smbd process

Phil Steinke lintec at engsoc.queensu.ca
Tue Feb 2 02:50:50 GMT 1999

Heya Luke, we seem to be getting an odd runaway smbd when a normal user is
trying to logon.  An administrator can log on in two seconds, but it takes
a regular account about five minutes, and an smbd process running as root
goes to 100% CPU usage.  Here's the part of the log file that seems
relevant:

[1999/02/01 21:40:32, 1] smbd/ipc.c:api_fd_reply(3272)
  api_fd_reply: INVALID PIPE HANDLE: 703b

That's from the machine's log file, during logon.  It had connected to the
netlogon and profiles shares, but none of the others yet (we have it
mapping a few drives in a logon script).  The full log files are available
at ftp://engsoc.queensu.ca/pub/samba-logs/smbd-runaway/

If you need more info, just let me know...

Phil Steinke
Computer Manager 98/99
Queen's Engineering Society