Sparc IPC's

Simon Murcott simonmu at optimation.co.nz
Mon Feb 1 21:52:17 GMT 1999

Hi People,

This is probably not too much realated to NTDOM stuff but...

Has anyone tried to run samba on a slow machine like a SparcStation IPC?

I have a client that would like to do so but I am unclear just what sort
of performance he will get compared to NFS.

>From experience, using low end 486's has been fine except for when the
client tries to connect to a share or is doing domain negotiation. These
can take a wee bit of processing power but the rest just requires a bit
of RAM.

If anybody has done some benchmarks of samba vs nfs I would definitely
like to hear the results.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Simon Murcott