System Policy Problems

Jamie ffolliott jmeff at engsoc.queensu.ca
Mon Feb 1 21:13:04 GMT 1999

Alan,

We've noticed some eratic behaviour with the NT clients - but the samba
PDC seems to be consistent when used with the default NT workstation
client installs.

First check the case-sensitive name of \\server\netlogon\ntconfig.pol, and
try both "ntconfig.pol" and "Ntconfig.pol".

Next, start up poledit on the NT client, file/open the registry, and check
the "Default Computer" settings.  Under "network", check the remote update
setting - it should be "automatic".  I've noticed that some NT clients
change this to "manual" once they know the location of the policy file
on the server.  (the "manual" option lets you specify a custom location
for the policy file, and that could be a redirect to another policy file
somewhere else on the network).  Of course, save the change.

good luck,

Jamie