2.0.6: DMB buggy if you´re using an NT-Wins-Server

Stephan Lauffer lauffer at ph-freiburg.de
Thu Dec 23 09:34:43 GMT 1999

Hi all!

I´ve got samba 2.0.6.
I would use the host as DMB. In our LAN there are several NT Servers, but not
for the workgroup of the samba-server.

There´s all right if i set up samba like this:
---
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
os level = 64
wins support = true
---
But if i´m using samba not as wins server and set wins server to a NT-Wins Server,
samba will not act as DMB!
Strange - the NT Wins server has got the correct entries (1B...).
And other Samba Server (LMB) get the correct DMB Info from the NT-Wins Server and
they try ro connect to the Samba DMB.
But this host still says:
"Local master announce made to us from PINGUIN IP 193.197.132.180
and we are not a domain master browser."

I always thougt that there will be no problem using a NT-Wins Server in a "mixed" network.
Does someone has got an idea why the samba server would not act as DMB in combination
with the NT-Wins Server?!!

Liebe Gruesse,
Stephan Lauffer

[ Paedagogische Hochschule Freiburg - Systemtechnik - Germany   ]
[ ZIK Zentrum fuer Informations- und Kommunikationstechnologie  ]
[ Tel.: 0761 - 682 447		        Mobil: 0172 - 7145 197  ]