roaming profile problems with Samba 2.06

Gordon Steven-QSG001 Steven.Gordon at motorola.com
Wed Dec 22 22:22:55 GMT 1999

Hello,

I'm having problems using Roaming Profiles on NT 4.0 (sp4 and sp5) when they
are on an HP-UX (version 10.20) server with Samba 2.06.  The messages at
login time ( and in the event viewer ) imply that it's a permissions
problem.  The odd thing is that after you're logged in, you can then mount
that same Profile share, and write/read files to it.

The message from the "application" event viewer is as follows:

\\fwhns44\profs\p_qsg001.
The operating system is attempting to log you on with your local profile.
Please contact your
Network Administrator.

The "User Profile Path" entry in the NT "User Manager for Domains" is:

\\fwhns44\profs\p_qsg001

I have the Samba logs from a sample login session, with the log level set to
20. If anyone feels they would be helpful, I'd be happy to email them.

The following is my smb.conf file.  Any help you can provide would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from usftwwns05.fwrdc.rtsg.mot.com (178.1.100.18)
# Date: 1999/12/22 14:58:35

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = CIGNAMERICA
	server string = %h Samba File & Print Server v%v
	log file = /var/adm/samba/samba-log.%m.%U
	max log size = 1024
	name resolve order = wins host bcast
	deadtime = 15
	getwd cache = No
	max open files = 1014
	shared mem size = 5242880
	load printers = No
	logon drive = h:
	local master = No
	wins server = 178.1.100.8
	oplock break wait time = 40
	preload = profs
	lock dir = /var/spool/locks
	homedir map = auto.home
	create mask = 0775
	force create mode = 0755
	printing = bsd
	print command = lp - %p %s
	hide dot files = No
	oplocks = No
[homes]
	comment = Home Directory for %u %H via Samba
	read only = No
	create mask = 0755
	delete readonly = Yes

[csttgrp]
	comment = /cna/csttgrp.moto
	path = /cna/csttgrp.moto
	read only = No

[aseweb]
	comment = /project/ASEWEB
	path = /project/ASEWEB
	read only = No

[cna]
	comment = /project/cna
	path = /project/cna
	read only = No

[fwtde]
	comment = /project/fwtde
	path = /project/fwtde
	read only = No

[profs]
	comment = wts profiles
	path = /opt/samba/profiles
	read only = No

          Steve Gordon                |   Cellular Infrastructure Group
         (817) 245-6811               |  Information Technology Services
      qsg001 at email.mot.com            |