URGENT: REDHAT 6.1 STORES SAMBA PRIVATE FILES IN /etc

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Tue Dec 21 22:56:53 GMT 1999

David Bannon wrote:

> Samba (and similar packages such as Apache) arrive in a nice
> discrete lump. You can see all the files under /usr/local/samba
> belong to samba, you can be sure there are no more (apart from
> startup scripts) hidden away somewhere you did not expect [...]

Ah, but this logic quickly tends to break down.
What if you're using pam_smb?  Does that mean that smbpasswd
goes in /etc or that /bin/login should be /usr/local/samba/bin/login?

Now my example is ridiculous, but the point is the same.
When you move from, "Here is some source.  Try it out."
to, "This Linux server ships with Samba installed."
the nice lumps lose all meaning.  I don't want Samba to be
given any special treatment.  I'd like it to be integrated
into the existing (and I think adequate) configuration
scheme that the majority essential Unix services' configs use.

The vast majority of Samba users in the coming years will
NEVER download the Samba source.  They'll get it preinstalled.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com