URGENT: REDHAT 6.1 STORES SAMBA PRIVATE FILES IN /etc

Albert Brown abrown at guiworks.com
Tue Dec 21 15:39:44 GMT 1999

I've been reading this thread off and on.

The main issue is smbpasswd is not a config file.  It's used to store
encrypted password hashes.  You most likely will never edit it by hand. I
know I've only edited it once or twice over the years.

You will access via smbpassword, or on the windows side.  It's location is
set by smb.conf which should go in /etc just to make it easy to find
(symlinks are nice).

If the maintainers & the samba team thinks it should go somewhere else, ie,
under /usr/local/samba or elsewhere, fine.  If they feel it is better
protected under a directory that only root can access great.

I for one, would rather only have config files in /etc, not
psuedo-config/data files.

-Al