URGENT: REDHAT 6.1 STORES SAMBA PRIVATE FILES IN /etc

Mike Harris mike at psand.net
Tue Dec 21 15:45:17 GMT 1999

Luke,

Redhat makes the file (I believe) rw root only, so it is reasonably secure.
Caldera OpenLinux puts the files in /etc/samba.d.  I personally don't like
the SID and PID etc.  files to wind up in /etc as it clutters an already
cluttered area.  /usr/private is one option.

The reason for the mail, is that I'm in a book about Samba and in one
section that discusses the installation, I've described how to update Samba
OVER the existing locations for RedHat, Caldera and Debian.  Therefore, it
puts them in the (possibly) vulnerable locations.  I'd like that the chapter
as much as possible relays the sentiments of the Samba Team to its readers
and therefore can alter it to either suggest an alternative, preffered
location (/etc/private, /etc/samba, /usr/private etc.) or simply add in a
note with respect to this issue for administrators.  Do you have any input
on this?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Mike Harris,
Psand España.