Big problems with groups

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Mon Dec 20 21:25:59 GMT 1999

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:58:38 +1100, hai scritto:

>I have several users being part of several groups.
>
>User1 group2 group3 group4
>User2 group1 group4 group5
>
>When User1 is saving a file on a Samba share it changes the permission to
>it's "main" group and everybody else has only read rights.
>What am I doing wrong?

Nothing wrong, you have 2 solutions.
Say that user1, user2 and user3 share a common groupA group, then all
the users will be able to write/edit files created by the other 2 if:

A)
chown root.groupA /path/top_shared_dir
chmod 2775 /path/top_shared_dir

in smb.conf:
create mask = 0660
directory mode = 2770
force create mode = 0660  (maybe not needed)
force directory mode = 2770  (maybe not needed)

B)
chown root.groupA /path/top_shared_dir
chmod 0775 /path/top_shared_dir

set in smb.conf:
force group = groupA
create mask = 0660
directory mode = 0770
force create mode = 0660 (maybe not needed)
force directory mode = 0770 (maybe not needed)

Solution A works for files created on the unix side too.

giulioo at pobox.com