CVS update: samba/source/include (fwd)

Mark Cooke mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 17 23:53:31 GMT 1999

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > >
> > > if you don't speak up in favour, start/stop services as remote
> > > administrator certainly won't ever get added.  if you are just
> > > a unix admin and do not touch NT or do not use any remote unix
> > > administrative tools with the similar capability [to start/stop
> > > services], please say so, and your opinion will be noted but
> > > given less weight.

Hi Luke,

As a unix admin this sounds very worrying to me. If it were to be
implemented, I'd agree with some of the other respondants - it needs
to be carefully done.

The lack of 'least surprise' of adding 'software to let PCs see unix
disks' also suddentlz providing a mechanism to stop/start unrelated
services on the unix side is scary!

My preference would be a compile time option, and an smb.conf
parameter, with either one or both defaulting to the current
'not available' setup. This avoids the surprise effect, so
that bugs in the setup are all that remains.

All that said, I'm only a satisfied user of the samba code, without
enough time to really get seriously involved in the development
directly.

All the best,

Mark