CVS update: samba/source/include (fwd)

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Fri Dec 17 22:45:51 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> andrew does not want me to add the ability for unix admins
> to decide whether to start and stop unix services.

I can understand the desire for this.  This could go a long
way toward easing NT admins into Samba use.  NT shops are
going to _insist_ on complete support of NT admin tools.
Neat idea.  It would be very useful.

HOWEVER, I too have very serious concerns about the security
of such an arrangement.  I don't know how exactly RPC stuff
like this is our would be secured, but if it can't be done 100%,
don't do it.  The only thing worse than not being able to remotely
start and stop services is allowing someone else to remotely start
and stop services.

In summary:
I like it, but it would need some really serious security checks.
Be careful.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com