CVS update: samba/source/include (fwd)

mike mangino mangino at cis.ohio-state.edu
Fri Dec 17 21:33:53 GMT 1999

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 07:42:04AM +1100, Gerald Carter wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > if you don't speak up in favour, start/stop services as remote
> > administrator certainly won't ever get added.  if you are just
> > a unix admin and do not touch NT or do not use any remote unix
> > administrative tools with the similar capability [to start/stop
> > services], please say so, and your opinion will be noted but
> > given less weight.
>
> Luke,
>
> I've stated this before, but I've really got to agree with
> Andrew.  I think this is a bad idea in production.  This is
> a gut feeling.  Just for the record, bad idea....
>
> Cheers,
> jerry
>                             Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter
> Engineering Network Services                           Auburn University
> jerry at eng.auburn.edu             http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw
>
>        "...a hundred billion castaways looking for a home."
>                                   - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )

I'm just a lurker, but this sounds like it could be useful, but my gut
instinct says you better think long and hard about it. The security
implications are scary. If you decide to do this, I'll look through the
code for security problems, but even then, this could open up a whole
lot of nasties.

--
Mike Mangino                   Consultant, Analysts International
mangino at cis.ohio-state.edu     m.mangino at aicolumbus.com
Home: (614) 326-2278           Work: (614) 575 6337 ext. 314