network policies

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Thu Dec 16 22:09:10 GMT 1999

geoffrey lee wrote:

> hi,
>
> by network policy i assume you mean the config.pol and ntconfig.pol file.
>
> this is an nt issue and not a samba issue really. you just needt o place
> those files in the netlogon share.
>
> +AD4- -----Original Message-----
> +AD4- From: samba-ntdom+AEA-samba.org +AFs-mailto:samba-ntdom+AEA-samba.org+AF0-On Behalf Of
> +AD4- Tim Radigan
> +AD4- Sent: Thursday, December 16, 1999 2:46 PM
> +AD4- To: Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM
> +AD4- Subject: network policies
> +AD4-
> +AD4-
> +AD4-
> +AD4- I'm having trouble with getting my network policies to work.  I'm
> +AD4- running FreeBSD-Stable with Samba 2.0.6 since the CVS version
> +AD4- won't compile under FreeBSD for some reason.  The following are
> +AD4- the lines I have in my smb.conf:
> +AD4-
> +AD4- +AFs-global+AF0-
> +AD4-    logon script +AD0- /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon.bat
> +AD4-    case sensitive +AD0- no
> +AD4-    preserve case +AD0- yes
> +AD4-    default case +AD0- lower
> +AD4-
> +AD4- +AFs-netlogon+AF0-
> +AD4-    comment +AD0- Net Logon
> +AD4-    path +AD0- /tmp
> +AD4-    locking +AD0- no
> +AD4-    public +AD0- yes
> +AD4-    browseable +AD0- yes
> +AD4-
> +AD4- For some reason, my network policies don't work.  I've read
> +AD4- various online documentation about network policies and nothing
> +AD4- seems to work.  I have clients running under WinNT Workstation
> +AD4- 4.0 and Windows 98.  If anyone can help me with this, it'd be appreciated.
> +AD4-
> +AD4- Thanks,
> +AD4- Tim Radigan
> +AD4-

Pretty much. One problem I found was that you needed to create the .pol files on the
workstation for that operating system and SAVE it to the netlogon share (rather than save and
copy). So File->Save As->\\PDC\netlogon\ntconfig.pol and \\PDC\netlogon\config.pol. It's a pain
in the arse. If you have any Windows 95 boxes, make sure you update the grouppol.dll. If you
don't, group policies don't work at all.

Matt