[XAD] Re: Kerberos v5 release 1.1, OpenLDAP 1.2.8, and samba 2.1.0 as an NT Domain Controller

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at wdr.com
Tue Dec 14 21:49:18 GMT 1999

[[NOTE: openldap list removed from Cc: list]]

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 11:05:36AM +1100, Luke Howard wrote:

> G'day,
>
> >1.  Could the KDC store it's database in the LDAP directory?
>
> Yes. Indeed, this was the reason we implemented the domain socket
> transport for OpenLDAP. There's still a lot of work to be done
> to implement this, though.
>
> >2.  Could the LDAP directory require Kerberos v5 authentication before
> >allowing a user/service access to the directory?
>
> In principle (pun not intended!), yes. However, OpenLDAP still requires
> support for the GSS-API SASL mechanism in order to do this in the
> "correct" manner. Netscape's Directory Server supports this mechanism
> with an appropriate plugin, and OpenLDAP will eventually support SASL
> authentication using the Cyrus SASL library.
>
> >3.  Would a user first need a TGT, then request authentication from the
> >samba server, which in turn would check the LDAP directory for a match?
>
> W2K clients use a complicated mix of Kerberos, LDAP, and RPCs for
> authentication and authorization. Check out:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/resources/brundrett.asp

I just read that doc.

It seems that when using NTLM for authentication NT services will fetch
the user's profile from the DC for impersonation.

It seems that when using Kerberos5 for authentication NT services will
use the user's profile if attached to the kerberos5 ticket, or, if the
profile data is not in the ticket, impersonation is disabled.

Is that a correct reading of that document?

If so, why the difference in behaviour? If the profile is not in the
krb5 ticket, why not query a DC for it as is done when using NTLM? Is
the issue one of mapping krb5 principals to ActiveDirectory objects when
the KDC is a non-ActiveDirectory KDC?