MSRPC daemons (fwd)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Dec 14 20:29:59 GMT 1999

At 11:08 AM 12/14/1999 -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>Steve Litt wrote:
[clip]
>> Greg -- what would you think of a testparm-like utility that lists all
>> parameters for *each* service, instead of just the non-default parameters.
>> It features three delimited fields per line: share, parameter name, and
>> parameter value. The intent is to have it easily manipulated by a Perl or
>> Python script.

[clip]

>> I've got it running in a very rough form, but haven't yet had time to test
>> it or clean it up. My version doesn't check syntax, since the real testparm
>> does that just fine. Mine simply outputs data about every paraemter for
>> every share, regardless of default.
>
>So you would run testparm first, to make sure that you hadn't mangled
>anything, and then run this to get more detailed information about your
>shares?
>	Greg

Greg --Exactly. Testparm checks smb.conf syntax, and the new program
outputs a more complete and parsable version of shares and their
parameters. The new program would answer questions like "what print command
does this print share think it has?", or "what's the directory mask of this
share?", or "which shares have bobby as a valid user?", simply by piping it
thru the proper grep.

Right now I'm busy writing a book, but if there's interest I'll contribute
it after I've had enough time to test it and clean up the code.

Steve Litt