Real Problems with Samba 2.0.6

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Mon Dec 13 21:48:17 GMT 1999

Steve Martin wrote:

> can you help
>
> I have recently installed Samba ver 2.0.6 onto Redhat ver6.0
> server...I can't seem to get logged in using the MS Client software
> under Win95 or Win98....
>
> However I can ping the server and I can telnet into it..My Linux
> server does not show up under Network Neighborhood....what am I doing
> wrong....here is my smb.conf attached
>
> Can you help
>
> <<smb.conf.txt>>
>
> Steve Martin

It sounds like a browsing problem. If you can mapa drive to the samba
box without using network neighbourhood (right-click My Computer -> Map
Network Drive), It is definitely a browser problem. In which case, make
sure you have a machine that contains a browse list (NT Server will by
default, or say yes to the browsing options in smb.conf). If you are
getting a message saying you can't browse the network, or you only have
the Windows machine(s) in N.N., then Windows is acting as a master
browser (and should be stopped). Go to the network control panel and the
properties of file and print services and switch the Browse List option
(i think) to disabled. Reboot Windows and start Samba before it boots
Windows.

Hope this helps.

Matt

P.S. I didn't get the attachment.