Real Problems with Samba 2.0.6

Mike Harris mike at psand.net
Mon Dec 13 21:30:46 GMT 1999

Real Problems with Samba 2.0.6Steve,

In short, you should read the smb.conf man page on the following parameters:

lm announce - only needed by OS/2 clients, values should be true, false or auto
hosts allow - not sure, but I think you need a trailing dot, i.e. 192.11.1.
password server - this is for pass-through authentication by an NT server or PDC, if you haven't got one, comment out this parameter.
remote announce - you probably don't need this unless you a placing Samba across more than one subnet.  If you are, I think you need to specify both subnets.
remote browse sync - same as for remote announce, also this should be a 'broadcast' address, i.e. 192.11.1.255 or an IP for another master browser.
wins support - okay, so the Samba box is doing WINS
wins proxy - you probably don't need this for Win95, Win98 clients.

What I would do is remove your existing RedHat config full of comments and use SWAT to configure your Samba machine.  It's available on port 901 of your Samba server.  It's much easier to use and get a basic set-up without using too many parameters.  A very minimum smb.conf file should work, such as:

;

[global]
workgroup = samba
encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]

;

Running the above, you should be able to browse your Samba server using Network Neighborhood.  It works fine on my RHL6.0 system with 2.0.6. :-)

One last thing to watch out for is that Linux systems often use PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) for stronger security.  You should do two things to make sure this is working:

1.  Compile samba with --with-pam, you may need to install the PAM libraries package to get the ./configure script to work.
2.  Make sure the file /etc/pam.d/samba exists.  If doesn't, you can copy the file /etc/pam.d/linuconf, it should be the same.

Hope that helps,

Mike Harris
Psand España.