Samba and NT Domain Group membership.

Peter Samuelson peter at wire.cadcamlab.org
Wed Dec 8 16:05:13 GMT 1999

[Mike Harris]
> Am I correct in believing that Domain Group membership of users in NT
> makes absolutely no difference to a Samba server?

Yes.  The "domain group" family of parameters refer to Unix groups
(defined in /etc/group or whatever).  In fact, just about everything in
terms of user permission checking in Samba relates to Unix users and
groups.  I believe the only exception is password authentication --
which uses either the smbpasswd file (security=user) or an NT PDC
(security=server).

Peter